Saturday, May 16, 2015

Free time and masochism

Just returned from glorious Muskoka, having enjoyed a solid week of total peace and quiet. 




It occurred to me that I didn't take many pictures.  Fact is I never take pictures anymore.   I became slightly obsessed with training myself to enjoy the  moments rather than try to document them as they happen.  Now this is a pretty good policy to have, but fuck me, this past year and a half has been fucking awesome AND I HAVE SO LITTLE PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE!!!


The camera. Sigh.  I am unforgivably critical of every single picture I have of myself.  I die a little inside whenever I see a picture of myself.  The captured moment spoiled by the blight that is my muffin top, pimple, closed eyes and stupid expression. 

But no more!!  

I have decided that every single picture I see of myself I will view using hindsight.  There will be a time that no matter how bad the picture is, I will absolutely look back and be tickeled as I recall the past moments. 
 

Like this one!!
 


When I first saw this picture I almost lost my nut and wallowed in self misery that age was catching up with me and I had a double chin. Then I decided to look at this picture through the eyes of 80 year old me.  80 year old me sees a picture taken right after my very first jam in my very first game with one of the top Canadian home teams.  80 year old me thinks this is a pretty awesome picture of a rare moment where I was genuinely proud of myself. 

80 year old me is waaaaay nicer. 

1 comment: