Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Caught with my hand under the pillow.



I have been moonlighting as the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny and Santa Claus for almost a decade and I must say I have done a fantastic job of not blowing my cover.

Until last night.

My middle daughter had a loose tooth for a good few weeks. If there is one thing I just love it's ripping out teeth. I was actually a little sad when my last baby tooth came out. The good news is I have lots of kids who of course have lots of teeth so my need for make believe dentistry can still be satisfied. After weeks of pestering and whining (me, not the girl) she finally allowed me to try and yank it out. I only got it half way which resulted in the best snaggletooth ever. Anyhoo......fast forward to 11pm when she proudly manages to rip her tooth out.

Yes, I said 11pm.

By this time I had worked a full day plus a few hours of overtime PLUS made 6 end of year gifts for the teachers. My eyes are blurring and my body is screaming for my bed. The girl is of course over the moon excited at the prospect of the Tooth Fairy paying her a visit and is likely not going to fall asleep for some time. This was actually a good thing because I soon realized that I didn't have ANY change in my purse. I contemplated giving her a cute little IOU from the tooth fairy. I'm not too proud to admit that I considered raiding her piggybank and using some of her allowance , it's not like she actually earns it. In the end it was reasonable parenting skills that won. I waited for an eternity for her to fall asleep and I pounced at the first sign of slumber. My hand goes under the pillow and I can not find this bloody tooth anywhere. My fumbling hand woke her up.

She believed me 100% when I told her I was just making sure the Tooth Fairy could find her tooth. I honestly can't believe how much my children trust me. Awesome.

1 comment: