Monday, July 29, 2013

And we're off!

Today was a big day.  Gary and I went on our first successful run together.


One thing I really want out of a dog is to have a solid running partner.  Adopting Gary came with a certain expectation that the two of us would be super running rock stars.  The other expectation was that he would be fully trained in 2 days.  Needless to say, I had NO fucking idea what I was in for when I adopted him.  It quickly became quite apparent that running with Gary would no doubt result in severe injury without some pretty firm direction.  He pulled....god...did he pull.   Anyway, basic training certainly took priority over having a running partner.  If he makes one more kids' face bleed I am FUUUUUUUCKED.   I also took this as an opportunity to totally shit the bed with my own running.

So we have been battling the demon of disobedience and assholery.   And I have been adjusting to having this new creature to take care of.  To be honest and fair, he has brought quite a bit more chaos and complications in my life.

Like this:



My back yard.  Once lush and full and a source of pride.   I have been refilling holes all summer.  The remaining green part of the lawn is now dying as he got into a box of organic speed composter and scattered it ALL over my grass.  My new reality is that I will not have a very nice backyard for a bit.  My new mantra?  Be flexible.

I have also purchased more socks and underwear these past few months than I have in 3 years.

I really could go on and on about how shitty my dog is.  Which makes me wonder why the hell I signed up for this?


And then we have days like today.

It took 6 months of non running, leash biting, me biting, people lunging, garbage eating, mud rolling horrible douchbaggery.....but we did it.   An incident free run.


You know those moments?  Mine are quite humble in nature.  I don't get very excited about what many would perceive as the "big" things,  It's the little moments when I realize that all the chaos, all the stress and all the crap is a small price to pay for the amount of joy it brings into your life.


It called for a T. Gary Success Selfie





No comments:

Post a Comment