Friday, August 31, 2012

Fall is just around the corner!

One of the problems with setting goals is that you actually need to work to achieve them! Even the little ones like blogging every day can be a challenge, especially heading into a busy weekend. So here I am, first thing in the morning, plugging away.

I find this time year, as we move into Fall to be sooo blissfully romantic as well as calming and peaceful. I have never viewed the dying back of the summer perennials to be a sad occasion but rather an opportunity to clear them out and get ready for the new ones of next year. Perhaps a metaphor for my life, a constant changing of the seasons, not to be considered as an end, but as an opportunity to realize what I want, what I need and most importantly what makes me happy.

I look forward to digging out my peonies and replanting them because the first time around I was in such a hurry that I planted them carelessly, only to find that they have never bloomed.

I have FINALLY realized that there is simply no hope for a veggie garden down the side of my yard. Not enough sun, as simple as that. Not sure why I have spent 5 years fighting something I simply have no control over. I simply need to replace the failed cucumbers and peppers with grapes and daisies. Things I love and that I know will flourish.

I realize that my interests are considered pedestrian at best by most. I imagine the most sophisticated scholar and worldly traveller would look down on my little life here. Thing is, I consider myself so incredibly fortunate that I am not driven by money, the need to run away to every
Country or worse, driven by a career. Don't get me wrong, I plan to travel, modestly climb the corporate rungs but I'm not foolish enough to think that this is what will bring me peace and satisfaction.

It's playing in the dirt, a skill I mastered when I was 5.

It's clearing out the old messes and failures of this seasons garden. Digging out and enjoying the very successful potatoes and cabbages and most of all making way for a new and beautiful garden that I will no doubt be absolutely tickled about, after a long, cold and seemingly endless winter.

This is what it's all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment