Saturday, March 22, 2014

Like a dog with a bone

So I'm always amazed when I have these epiphanies about myself.

The road to self realization isn't all "you go girl, you CAN do it"  It also involves realizing some fairly disturbing personality flaws.

Maybe not disturbing.  More, WTF?!


I have been butting heads with one of my kids.  Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.  Just perfectly normal  preteen stuff.   The child in question is also the most easy going child.  She's kind and funny and agreeable.  In fact, with the exception of the very sexually charged joke she told my Mom she has never been a lick of stress.  Just the sweetest ever.

Until she isn't.


When she gets a bee in her bonnet she is so infuriating and ridiculous it makes my hair hurt.  Like a dog with a bone.  Will not drop it.  God.  The bloody last word thing DRIVES ME INSANE.

What does any of this have to do with my road to self realization?

Well, turns out she is exactly.like.me.


sigh

I try to avoid conflict. I try to be the better person.


Until I don't.


 To be fair there is only a small handful of people that I am fully comfortable letting my feelings be perfectly known.   9 times out of 10 it's resolved with a "hey, remember when we lost our shit?  Fun.  Now let's get coffee and move on".   If ever you need to be reminded of what makes a really good friend you just need to look at the ones you have had the knarliest arguments with.  


Above and beyond.  It's ok to have flaws.  It's not ok to refuse to learn from them.   It's ok to argue or fight even.  It's not ok to gaslight.

Learn learn learn.  

You can indeed teach an old dog new tricks.




No comments:

Post a Comment