Monday, May 19, 2014

Gardens, personal injury and allowing help.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say that this long weekend was one of the best I've seen in a long time.

The weather was SO nice.  I was SO free of commitments yet I managed to pack a ton into the days.  I suffered a tragic gardening accident, a sad reminder that my Mom is always right and I shouldn't garden in flip flops.  There is always a 100 year old steel rake just waiting to be stepped on.    Once I seek the required medical attention and get a tetanus shot all will be well AND I was forced to accept some help with the garden so all around people were happy.




And right now I'm capping it all off, typing outdoors on my deck with a bottle of beer, waiting for dinner to be prepared and brought to me.  Pretty much the best.

Amazing

My garden is coming along like craaaaazy.  My only real regret is that I don't have an awesome camera to get really good pictures.

So here is the large front bed.   There are three huge hostas coming up so that one is fairly maintenance free.   A little weeding here and there but nature just kinda takes it's course.   My original plan was to let the Veronica spread over the stones but now I'm thinking that I really like how it simply edges the bed.  So I think I will plant lots of thyme to fill in the gaps.




This little area is the butterfly garden.  I lost my butterfly bush over the winter so I replaced it with a lupin.  I am yet to successfully grow lupin.  Not because of dogs or bugs but because for some horrible reason I always step on it and destroy it.   More is popping up so I'm pretty giddy about that!   That said, I'm trying really hard to to fret about the ability of the phlox to grow over the mountain of mulch.  Deep breath...doesn't have to be perfect.   My area is terrible for pollinators so it's so awesome to see all of the bees and butterflies in the summer.

The middle here was an afterthought of last year and expanded quite a bit.  I decided to plop some potted geraniums and trailing verbena in the middle of it.  Potted plants always look so sad in the beginning.  Assuming I actually remember to water them they should look quite lovely.  The border of the driveway I just try to avoid looking at.  Not sure why I thought planting garlic was a good idea.  I just want to till the whole area and week, alas, can't until early July when the garlic is harvested.   Also depends if the gangrene takes over.  Hard to do this with one foot.





This is just a wee little bed at the front.  I'm amazed I didn't totally fuck up transplanting peonies. They even have little flowers waiting to bloom.  I also planted some marigolds I planted from seed.  I would like to see what colours they are.  Tres exciting.


Here is the entrance way to the backyard.  I almost lost my shit when I realized that the clematis I planted last year wasn't the same.  Not the same colour or timing of blooms.  So I yanked em out and instead morning glories will take their place.  I also hate the stones so I have been slowly taking them out, to be replaced with a stonecrop.



And finally my veggie garden.



I love how clean and neat it all is.   Don't get me wrong, it'll be a crazy mess in about a month.  But I love how everything is in it's place.

I also bought this hot pepper plant.  Any vegetable that has warnings on the tag is alright in my books!





All should be well assuming that the greatest gardening menace doesn't escape the backyard





No comments:

Post a Comment