Wednesday, May 7, 2014

That wonderful smell of worms.

Having recently discovered Dave Van Ronk and the weather starting to cooperate I am fairly certain I have finally reached a zen state.


Typically,  by this time of year I have already done so much outside.  It's just been so wet and dreary and COLD that has been hard to muster the enthusiasm to do anything.  But Spring is here, perhaps to stay and I am so invigorated and rejuvenated that I want to stay out all.day.long.  I'm also a wee bit  ambitious this year so I am trying to figure out a way to create a vertical gardening concept without spending a single penny.  It'll  look silly but it should get the job done.

So this is what I'm planting.

Beans
Tomatoes-beef steak and bonny best.
Swiss Chard
Butternut squash-not optimistic
cucumbers
Watermelon-not optimistic
Zucchini-
Red peppers-hopeful
peas
kohlrabi
brocolli - first time

I have a wonderful big bay window and I managed to get some really nice looking seedlings of  Morning Glories, marigolds, my tomatoes, cucumber and the squashes.   Here are some of the seedlings DYING to be planted.  Seriously.  My goddamned cats who happen to be the shittiest cats I have ever known are systematically destroying them.




My front yard is still a work in progress.   Mowing the lawn is a chore I hate.   I'll do it, but it sucks.  Gardening is something I adore.  Why not simplify life a bit and just get rid of the grass and make it into something that gives me pleasure.  So, my goal is for it to eventually be grass free and a giant perennial  garden.  But that's a lotta work and a lotta mulch so slow and steady.  Still, I am so excited about it.  This time of year it's very much a clean slate but lots of stuff popping up, bigger and better.

That said, I am not sure what I am going to do with a large part of it.  As you can see there is a lot of space in need of inspiration and I'm just trying to figure out what to do with it.




AND ugh ugh...I decided last year that I didn't like the black mulch.  So I decided to do natural mulch AND I HATE IT.  So I think I'm going to try to find a darker mulch.   If not, back to black.

The back yard?  *sigh*  Now, at the end of the day my deck is one of my favourite places to be in the evening.  The best.  So I'll continue to fight for some grass but not lose too much sleep over it.

I have a fairly complex relationship with gardening.   I think it's a healthy obsession.  I am well aware of how much work it can be and it can be reeeeeaaallllllllyyyyy frustrating BUT.....god....I get gardening catalogues for chrissakes.  It is literally NEVER done so there is always something more that needs to be done.


And now, after the longest of winters I can finally begin.



-

No comments:

Post a Comment