Friday, October 4, 2013

T. Gary B, Keeping it Real.

The fellow finishing up my basement sent me this pic last night.





I'm not totally deliusional, T. Gary is a GIGANTIC pain in the ass.  The poor guy was no doubt just trying to do his job while a 70 pound disaster kept bringing him more and more wood.  The caption on the photo was "Gary helping me bring wood"  Not "lock your fucking dog in your room next time I'm over"

I love my dog.  LOVE.   He is without question the best person I know.  He doesn't judge, he is who he is, loves who he is, wants to protect his family and is happy as long as he's fed and gets belly rubs.   This dog is literally EXACTLY the type of human being I want to be.

So, what happens when you invite someone into your life who isn't a "dog person"?  I don't mean someone who doesn't especially care for dogs but will make an exception for your dog.  I am talking someone who thinks it's outrageous for a dog to be on a bed.  Who is all "EEEWWWWWW" when my sweet little guy obsessively licks his feet.  Just has no real affection for him.   Not too long ago I had only two real deal breakers.  DUIs and Herpes.   I have sadly just discovered a third.

I think we all have our ideals when looking for a partner,  The key of course is not to wait around and hope that certain things will change, rather, we need to look at someone exactly as they are right now and assume that this is who they will always be.  Then ask ourselves if we are ok with that.   Dealbreaker.  He's gotta love dogs.

In a really strange way my heart broke a wee bit when my house doode sent me this picture.  Gary was being annoying but being a dog person he took the 2 seconds to snap a pic, give him a pet and later send me the picture.  Because he no doubt saw the value of that moment.  Because he recognized the value a dog can bring to your life.  I don't want to humanize Gary (that's total bullshit-I dress him up regularly) but inviting someone new into my life comes with personal sacrifice.  I think your "well rounded package deal boy" is pretty sweet.  I am always willing to compromise. We all have our baggage and bullshit.

But there is no fucking way I'm taking a chance on someone who thinks T. Gary should be locked in the basement at night time.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment